Did you know that women need 25 grams of fiber or more every day?
And men need more than 35 grams of fiber in their diet every day. Therefore it is important for us to eat foods that are high in fiber.
Now you can walk into any grocery store and find products that are marketed, designed and sold with high fiber content.
There are bars and cereals that advertise they are 57% of your daily fiber intake or 33% of your daily fiber intake. Fiber helps clean out your system and fiber will really help make you regular.
- Beans. Beans are full of fiber. Beans also protect us and our bodies against cancer and can provide our bodies with a good source of protein. Not only are beans completely healthy and beneficial to us they also are available in a multitude of different types of beans and can be used in a multitude of dishes. Consider mixing black beans and refried beans for a homemade 7-layer salad. Also add salsa, sour cream and guacamole as well as tomatoes, cheese and onions. Another way to get beans into your diet would be through making black bean vegetarian soup.
- Don’t peel skins! Don’t peel the skins off of potatoes or apples or pears. Eat the skins of these foods because the skins are the part of the food with the most nutrients and the most fiber.
- Nuts are your friend. Snack on nuts and add nuts to foods to make them more flavorful. For example add walnuts to pancakes and salads. Nuts are not only high in fiber but nuts are also a good source of healthy fats.
- Don’t ever buy any kind of breads that are anything but whole grain. Make sure they are 100% whole grain breads. Did you know you can also buy whole wheat pasta? Additionally, instead of buying chocolate chip muffins or blueberry muffins you should buy bran muffins or even whole wheat muffins.
- Add fresh berries to everything that you can. For example, add fresh berries to yogurt in the morning. Add fresh berries to the top of oat cereals for breakfast, pancakes or crepes in the morning and oatmeal.
As you are considering how you will get your daily percentage intake of fiber just remember the importance of getting enough fiber and what exactly it will do for your body.