Herbs are widely used because of their nutritional, culinary, and medicinal values. They are used to spice up dishes and their distinct aroma serves as a natural air freshener in your home.
Further, herbs are also used to treat some common ailments like cold, flu, diarrhea, constipation, and many more.
Bitter herbs may not make it to the top of your favorite ingredients in the kitchen but their health benefits may surprise you. Just like ordinary herbs, they contain nutrients essential for the body.
The bitterness of some herbs is brought about by bio-chemicals like glucosinolates, tannins, terpenes, isothiocyanates, alkaloids, phenols, isoflavones, flavonoids, catechins, and saponins. These chemicals are responsible for keeping the body strong and healthy and protected against harmful diseases.
What Bitter Herbs Can Do for You:
- Improve digestion and prevent constipation
- Stimulate your appetite
- Increase the production of bile in the gallbladder for a healthier liver
- Tone up kidneys
- Improve the immune system through its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties
- Relieve stress
- Relieve rheumatoid arthritis through its laxative properties
- Help lower blood sugar level
- Contain phytochemicals that can prevent cancer
Although they are less appealing than other herbs, bitter herbs can definitely do wonders for your body’s health. So start using them for a healthier body.