Cooking in microwave is real fun as its takes less time, less oil and offers you real yummy and healthy food. Now with a revolutionised technology every home has microwave oven and your meal is all ready within minutes. The best part of the microwave is that it does not emit heat and hence kitchen does not heat up, and this is a great advantage during summer months. Here are few cooking tips that must be followed while using microwave for cooking:
- Always keep your microwave clean or else the leftovers might spoil your food.
- Remember reheating requires only one minute. Do not over heat.
- Never use an Aluminium or metal covered material in your microwave as there is a chance of a generation of sparks.
- Microwave cooking generally evaporates minimal moisture, so try reducing the required water content by ¼.
- The cooking increases flavour of added spices so reduce the quantity of spices or herbs.
- All foods that contain liquid, fat and sugar cook faster. Therefore, reduce cooking time by one fourth and gradually increase to obtain the needed result.
- Another important thing is, it enhances salty flavour, and hence it is better reducing salt by 1/3 or add it after cooking.
- For even cooking arrange the dish in such way that the thicker part is on the outside and the thinner portion inside, and for even distribution of heat use a cone in the centre.
- Add toppings like cheese etc. at the end of cooking so as not to make the top portion soggy or tough.
- Always cover the dish properly with a lid or plastic wrap.
- While you place the dish leave some gap or if you are using plastic wrap make holes on it so as to make room for the steam to escape.
- Dishes like meat, poultry, vegetables and fruits take more time to cook. So the ’6 minutes per pound/kg rule’ need to be followed while cooking in the microwave.
- Seafood’s consume less time to cook.
- Larger dishes need to be cut into equal size pieces for equal cooking. And, if you can make them round instead of square or rectangular, they cook well.
- Do not pile up the food. As far as possible, spread the food evenly in the oven.
- Since you cook different items in the microwave, you need to set the time according to the type of food being cooked.
- Avoid alcohol and milk based foods in the dishes.
Photo Credit By: blog.doctoroz.com