Italian food has a lot of fans and if you are one of them then you must watch what you eat especially at the restaurants. Most of the Italian cuisine is cheese and sauce based, along with pasta and spaghetti being the main component.
And the bad news is that all these items will make you bulge. But just because you will have the tendency to get fat does not mean that you need to stop eating in Italian restaurants. Below given are a few tips to eat healthily at an Italian restaurant.
Items in Italian cuisine that can Increase Weight
- Cheese of all sorts
- Cheese dips
How you can eat lean in Italian restaurants
- While selecting appetizers, make wise choices. Stay away from fried mozzarella sticks and oily shrimps. Say ‘no’ to the cheesy dips as well. Instead fill up on soups and vegetables.
- Try and order salads. Italian salads are good but stay away from the grated cheese. You can ask for grilled chicken breast chunks in the salad as they add nourishment.
- Do not partake of the bread that comes with most of your Italian meals. The flour used is not too good for your body.
- Most Italian dishes have a lot of cheese. Customize your dish with half the cheese content.
- If you are ordering pizza for the main course, try the thin crust pizza with less cheese. Add items like mushrooms, black olives, pineapple, onions, peppers and grilled chicken. Stay away from ham, salami, bacon and other red meat.
- If you are in mood for pasta, then make sure that the sauce in it is not made of cream or cream cheese. Instead try something with tomatoes. Though the alfredo sauce is a top pick, but it does add to your calorie count.
- If your main course is chicken or meat or even fish, try and order for something that is boiled or grilled and not fried.
- Ask your meal to be cooked in olive oil only instead of vegetable oil as the former cleanses out of your system eventually.
- Order a fruit based and lightly sweetened dessert after your meal. Avoid chocolate, cream, or even tiramisu. Though these are tempting and extremely tasty, they should be your once-in-a-blue-moon choice.
Italian food can be very fattening and that is why weight watchers keep away from it. But if you are a food lover and weight watcher, these ordering tips can help a lot.
Photo Credit By: salomon-online.com